CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Giving Thanks



Today I gave my first sharing time in Primary. It's funny how those sweet children can be so intimidating. On a casual situation, I am so comfortable with kids, but it must be something about standing up there and actually having all the focus on myself (which I despise, I am so not a look at me type of chick) that pretty much makes me nervous. Anyway, it went well and I feel like the children responded well and learned from me, which is all that matters. Of course it was about giving thanks, but instead of the huge list I could have rambled off for hours of what I am thankful for, I focused on the #1 thing in the world I give thanks to me Heavenly Father for daily, that being my testimony. How scary a world not to have that. I love having the knowledge of what's to come, of what I should be doing, of things to stay away from, what comfort I have in my soul just knowing these things. I'm not saying I'm doing a perfect job of living with this knowledge, but it makes me feel good just knowing and trying.




This next week will be crazy busy for me, and although I would love to post everyday about random things, I will refrain and just post today for the week to come. I have so much to be grateful for. My "cornucopia" is over-flowing and I love my life. (I used a cornucopia for sharing time). My list of Thanks will be so very small in comparison to all my thanks, but I will just give a short version of my Bible sized book of blessings.




I am so thankful for my home. I love my house, this city, country and world I live in, I wouldn't change it for anything.




I am eternally grateful for my parents. The best on earth! They would do anything for me, and always have. My Dad is a friend to everyone (which scared us on several occasions as kids!) and is always trying his best to make me happy. He is definatley a "pleaser" which is where I get my in-ability to say no to anyone (thanks for that one Dad!) He is as freindly as they come and we usually chew him out for this trait, but I know he will be blessed for his need to talk to everyone anywhere. My Mom is a friend to few, but a best to me. I don't mean she is unkind to anyone, she just hasn't ever needed to have girlfriends, she is best friends with her kids, her Mom and her sisters. She is all about her family and has never needed to venture out of the home to feel like she is needed in the world. She would do anything any of us ever asked of her and has always puts her family first. They are both amazing confidants and that is probably why we all live within 15 minutes of them (5 kids,) we would "die" if we lived far from our Mommy and Daddy!




My own children and my husband are my world. I have the best partner on the planet. He supports me in all I do and never bats and eye. We have an amazing relationship that gets better with every breath. I love him dearly. My children are the coolest kids ever! They are beautiful and good and are true examples to me daily. (On occasion Ashton is the wrong example, but none the less, he is an example!) Our family is an example of true love, and I can not even fathom my life with out one of them. I am also thankful for awesome sisters and brother. They are the best and I love them all so much. I am so grateful they are all still my friends after my teenage years and my not so sweet treatement of them. They are also best friends to me.




I am thankful for my body. As unattractive as it may be, I give thanks daily for it. Touching my Jourdan's soft skin, smelling a fresh cut pine tree, tasting a juicy piece of watermelon, seeing my Ashton's contagious grin. I treasure the things my body does for my soul. I love being able to walk, to lie down in my bed and sleep well, to cook dinner with my hands and feed my family. I am so grateful for the things that most of us take for granted, most of the time. Sometimes I just stop and think of little things and give thanks to Heavenly Father for them.




I am most of the time, the most grateful for the things I "don't" have. I am a worry-er by nature. I have worried my entire life about needless issue that I'm sure have taken several years off my life and have given me a few unwanted wrinkles. I have gotten better in that past few years and I try to look at the eternal prospective more, but you really can't change yourself and your deep core issues. I am often aware of the trials and misfortunes that God has so graciously not placed on my plate. Maybe at a later point, I will be faced with them, but for now, I am so thankful for the lack of these in my life. So many people deal with so much anguish.




I seem to be getting a bit long-winded on my short version, so I will end there. But just know that I could go on for hours and type for days the thing I am grateful for. I love life, I love my lot in life, I love you all and I am thankful for my never-ending blessings. I feel like I should end as I would at the pulpit, but I guess I won't, that would be awkward and if you know me well, I am NOT thankful for awkward!

6 comments:

Jo, a retired teacher

Nice picture; really difficult to get that many people looking happily in the same direction at the same time. (Love Dom's expression)

Appropriate post for the holiday. Nice thoughts.

Kelly

The first time I did sharing time I was so scared but I after I did it once it wasn't so scary. You are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Trinity

Ok so I started crying half way through. Thank you for that. I am grateful for crying in private. I am not comfortable with it in public.
I loved this post. You are very blessed. Your parents sound amazing and did well to raise such an awesome woman. The primary kids are very lucky that they will get to have many sharing times from you.

Hillary

LOVED your family picture it was so fun to see everyone. You post was so great and it is nice you had a min. to sit down and write what your thankful for. Congrats on your first successful sharing time I'm sure you have many more to come, you are awesome!

Caid and Alicia Evans

that was a breath of fresh air.. thanks for sharing! It's a nice reminder to stop and be grateful for the people/things in your life! We are leaving tonight to party for tomorrow! Can't wait to see everyone!! :)

Karynn

I did what was probably my 10th sharing time today, and I SWEAR it doesn't get much easier! I still get all flustered and lose my train of thought. But that may be my personality flaws shining through.
Honestly, I'm more comfortable singing a solo in front of hundreds of people than doing sharing time.